Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Inspired by Indiana's Riley

The "Little Free Library" in my
neighborhood had this book inside!

I'm not sure if my students have
visited a 
Little Free Library yet or not,
 but hopefully we can get one started in the community 
of Lawrenceville!

https://littlefreelibrary.org/

The copyright of this book is 1937having been originally published in 1883
In the Preface, Donald Peattie describes Riley 
as a "nature poet," who he saw as unequalled in
his era for creating descriptions of wildlife.
He also lauded Riley's use of dialect, to keep the
essense of his verse alive and meaningful.
One of my favorites in it, I read just today:

A Dream of Autumn
Mellow hazes, lowly  trailing
Over wood and meadow, veiling
Somber skies, with wild fowl sailing
And the north wind overleaping
Summer's brink, and flood-like sweeping
Wrecks of roses where the weeping-
Willows wring their helpless hands.



Children need to have beautiful
poetry read to them, many times over.
Determined to write more
and hone my craft, when reading 
beautiful, thought provoking prose
 from this Indiana author.






No comments: